Looking at cuts, seeking groups to handle events
PETERSBURG — Township Committee is far from adopting its annual budget but already is looking at cuts to make up for a loss of $645,000 in state aid.
During a budget workshop Feb. 10, Mayor Curtis Corson said “there is going to be an increase,” noting the loss in state aid would be responsible for the bulk of that.
Chief Financial Officer Barbara Ludy said no Municipal Relief Aid for Upper Township was included in Gov. Phil Murphy’s FY2025 budget, meaning the committee must make up for the loss through spending cuts.
Later that evening, Committeeman Sam Palombo announced that the township had canceled its annual Easter egg hunt. Last year, the hunt was March 23 at Amanda’s Field off Route 50 in Petersburg.
Palombo said he and recreation director Larry Cole “had to make the difficult decision together to unfortunately get rid of the Easter egg hunt.”
He said financial and manpower issues led to the cancellation.
Mayor Curtis Corson said he reached out to the Upper Township Rescue Squad about hosting an Easter event as a fundraiser.
“We are looking for somebody in the private sector who is willing to do it and we want to continue the celebration but in a different venue,” he said. “I truly hope another organization takes it over.”
Palombo called the state aid loss “crippling for a community like ours,” noting he is hoping to find another organization to take over the Easter event, suggesting the Upper Township Business Association or other community group.
He said he would love to see local businesses get involved so that they benefit from sales and exposure during such an event.
Palombo also said hosting the event is taxing on the township’s workforce, noting members of the Parks and Recreation Department, Department of Public Works and Upper Township Division of EMS all take part.
“It’s a lot of resources,” he said.
In addition, the annual Upper Township 4th of July Celebration held at Amanda’s Field is in jeopardy. The event features live music, food trucks, craft vendors and interactive games, as well as fireworks to wrap up the festivities.
Palombo said they are having difficulty finding a vendor for the busy date and may instead hold a “summer bash” a week before or after the holiday, when fireworks would be more readily available.
He said he is hoping that like with the Easter egg hunt, a local organization takes over running the Independence Day celebration.
“I’m putting out the Bat Signal to all these local businesses. Bringing them on as partners and sponsors would help them get the shine they deserve,” Palombo said. “Any kind of help we are more than grateful to receive and it’s mutually beneficial.”
Strathmere traditionally hosts a popular and well-attended Fourth of July Parade from the Strathmere Firehouse down Commonwealth Boulevard. Refreshments and awards follow at the Deauville Inn.
In response to a story reporting cancelation of the Easter egg hunt, Deputy Mayor Victor Nappen posted on Facebook that he “called the press today, they’re rewriting the mostly fake news article printed yesterday that we are canceling Easter.”
“We are going to have one possibly two great Easter events for the township. Still finalizing the details,” the post stated. “We just aren’t having the exact same event as the last administration, which was a complete financial loser that about 100 people (maybe) came to. Ours will be more of a sponsored/fundraising type of event … candy, bunny, kid-friendly, etc.”
Athletic court
improvements
The township is moving forward with plans to demolish two of the four tennis courts at Caldwell Park and extend the surface to create as many as 12 pickleball courts.
Additional improvements consist of resurfacing and coating the remaining tennis courts at Caldwell Park and the hockey rink at Amanda’s Field.
Engineer Ryan MacNeill said construction is anticipated to start this spring and that he does not expect any disruption to the sports schedules.
MacNeill said he has finalized the scope of work, noting it is expected to “fall right under the project budget.” He said he would have information about final costs at the next meeting, set for 5:30 p.m. Feb. 24.
“It’s a really exciting project and we are looking forward to that,” Palombo said. “People say its the fastest-growing sport and it’s accessible to everyone.”
– By CRAIG D. SCHENCK/Sentinel staff