38 °F Ocean City, US
February 17, 2026

Schools chief candidates narrowed

Ocean City Board of Education should make choice known in September

OCEAN CITY — The Ocean City Board of Education is “moving into the final stages of the superintendent search.”

School Board President Chris Halliday provided that update at the Aug. 24 meeting.

“We’ve had the opportunity to interview a strong pool of experienced candidates to lead our district and are narrowing it to the final candidate,” he said.

“As we move into this final stage, we will continue to maintain confidentiality so we don’t cause any unnecessary hardships for any candidates.”

Halliday said they had 60 candidates in the overall pool, then narrowed it down and conducted the first round of interviews. There were six days of interviews total between the first and second rounds.

“We’re using rubrics to evaluate each candidate in their personal interviews,” he said after the meeting. “The whole board took part so each board member had rubrics for each candidate. We went through evaluation questions so a list of questions for each interview and each person was able to score and evaluate each candidate. We tallied them up, we had a discussion, and then we moved forward to the next round. 

“We’re continuing to move forward.”

Halliday declined to disclose how many candidates are left at this point.

“We’re getting close, we’re getting close,” he said. “The goal is by the September board meeting that there will be news.”

The next meeting is scheduled for 7 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 21.

Dr. Scott McCartney is the interim superintendent of schools. He began his tenure this summer and is contracted through the end of December. 

If the new superintendent comes on board in January 2024, the Ocean City School District will have had five different superintendents since 2021, including Dr. Kathleen Taylor, who retired that summer after 15 years with the district. 

Ocean City had interim superintendent Dr. Thomas Baruffi for the 2021-22 school year, Dr. Matthew Friedman, who was hired in a three-year contract but stayed only for the 2022-23 school year before leaving for another job, and McCartney for the first half of the 2023-24 school year.

By DAVID NAHAN/Sentinel staff

Related articles

These kids couldn’t get to art camp, so it came to them

Ocean City Arts Center brings week-long camp to Woodbine Elementary School WOODBINE — Because the kids at Woodbine Elementary School couldn’t get to art camp in Ocean City, art camp came to them last week. The Ocean City Arts Center (OCAC) brought a one-week camp to the Woodbine school as part of its outreach effort […]

Design contract approved for Ocean City airport terminal

OCEAN CITY — Ocean City Council approved a contract to design the new $6 million terminal building for the municipal airport. At the June 26 meeting, council approved the $435,000 professional services contract with William McLees Architecture to design the building. The fees include the schematic design, design development, construction documents, bid assistance and reimbursable […]