67 °F Ocean City, US
May 19, 2026

No fire at old Public Safety Building

Firefighters are using closed building for training

OCEAN CITY — The Ocean City Fire Department has been training at the former Public Safety Building at 835 Central Ave. The fake smoke, firefighters and fire trucks on site have apparently made people on social media wonder if there had been a fire or other emergency there.

The short answer is there has been no fire. There has been no emergency.

As the Sentinel reported in the April 1 edition of the newspaper (For Ocean City firefighters, the training never stops), OCFD firefighters use closed buildings for training purposes. The story in the Sentinel was about the training that was taking place at the former administration building at Pecks Beach Village. In the story, Fire Chief Bernard Walker said his department also planned to use the Public Safety Building, which closed last month and will be demolished to make way for a new building.

An Ocean City firefighter pulls a dummy through a window at the former Public Safety Building on Central Avenue Wednesday afternoon during training exercises. At top, firetrucks on site for the training earlier in the day.

However, Chief Walker was compelled to put out a press release to allay citizens’ concerns.

“The Ocean City Department of Fire & Rescue Services is aware of recent social media posts and reports suggesting an active structure fire or emergency situation at 835 Central Avenue (Ocean City Police Department Headquarters). We would like to clarify that there have been no fires or emergency incidents at this location,” Walker wrote.

“The building is currently being utilized by the Ocean City Fire Department for training purposes. These exercises are designed to enhance critical operational skills and strengthen overall emergency response readiness. As part of these training scenarios, theatrical smoke is being used inside of the structure to simulate realistic fire conditions and visibility challenges,” he added. “Training activities are expected to continue over the coming weeks until the building is scheduled for demolition. During this period, residents may also observe additional outside agencies participating in coordinated training exercises at the site.

“We appreciate the community’s understanding and continued support as we conduct these important preparedness activities,” Walker wrote.

– STORY and PHOTOS by DAVID NAHAN/Sentinel staff

Editor’s note: More photos from the firefighter training will appear in a future edition of the Sentinel and online.

Related articles

Citizens say they’ll fight supper clubs, that it’s like BYOB

By ERIC AVEDISSIAN/Sentinel staff OCEAN CITY – Residents upset over dinner clubs that allow patrons to pay membership fees and bring alcohol to local eateries made their displeasure known at the Feb. 13 city council meeting.   Ocean City has had a long history of prohibiting alcohol sales and public consumption.  In 1879 four Methodist […]

Upper Township likes ideas, balks at cost of flood-protection proposals

Strathmere group says conditions likely to worsen By BILL BARLOW/Special to the Sentinel STRATHMERE — Seas are rising, and unless steps are taken quickly the damage from flooding in coastal areas is likely to get worse, members of the Strathmere Fishing and Environmental Club wrote in a recent letter to Upper Township Committee and the […]